Saturday, April 6, 2013

Adventures at the Mall

I woke up tired and grumpy, not wanting to do anything today. Stumbled out to the living room to down my thyroid medication and a smoothie, hoping for some feeling of not near death that I seem to always experience these days. Brendan convinced me to take a shower and while I was in there I shouted, "I don't care what we do today, just get me out of this house!" Little did I know what he had in mind.

The Mall? On a Saturday? Was he crazy? I sure thought so, but being in the desperate situation that I felt I was in, I agreed. We packed up the diaper bag, the double stroller, and my cane and headed out for a grand adventure, at least that is what we were telling the kids.

Oh my, the Mall is PACKED on the weekend. For once, I was happy to be disabled, because we found a great parking spot and only drove around for 5 minutes. We looked into renting an electronic wheelchair thing, but for $30, it just wasn't worth it for me. So I switched off from using my cane, to using the stroller like a walker for support and leverage.

I walked today more then I have since the injury last April, and boy am I tired! Brendan guessed a couple miles at least.

We started to window shop, but the natives soon became restless, so off to lunch we went. Trying to find food in that place posed to be more of a challenge then I realized. It took us a while, but we soon settled on a food establishment, and really enjoyed ourselves. To our surprise, James ate 4 french fries and has yet to throw it up! Yay baby James!

The next order of business was to find ice cream, a task that seems like a homing beacon to a toddler. Miriam made a b-line to the nearest ice cream place before we even knew that it served ice cream. After our treat, we walked around and window shopped a bit, but the toddler wanted to go on the rides. We told her we couldn't go on the rides today, but we could stop by a store a get her most favorite princess, "Cinderelli."

Taking a toddler into that store is pretty insane. There is so much to see and do, and ALL the princesses are there. We came out unscathed, with "Cinderelli" in hand, but oh boy, that girl could have spent hours in there.

On the way out Miriam forgot who she was holding on to, and decided to jump and swing without warning. Mommy ended up on the floor and Miriam learned a new word. Yep, that one was all me. Great job in the mommy department on that one.

We stopped for a lollipop, then we dodged raindrops to the car. All in all, today was a successful day at the biggest mall I know of. Nobody died, nobody got lost, and we had only minor injuries on my part.

Enjoy your (hopefully-much-less-stressful-then-us) Saturday. And hey, the sun is coming out. Maybe that's God's way of saying, "If you see this, you've survived!"


No comments:

Post a Comment