Monday, April 15, 2013

Soul Mates

Soul mates, yet another thing Hollywood and the general media has drilled into our heads, giving us a very skewed notion of life and love. Ms. N and I were watching a show, and the young woman on the screen was pining away for a love she could never have, what she called her "soul mate." I commented to the screen that she should get a life and find a man she could actually have.  This sparked a conversation.

How many young women become old women searching for soul mates that never exist? How many times do people let great relationships go because they are waiting for the perfect person, the person that makes them whole?

Movies and TV cry out to us to wait for it, cheat for it, even steal for it. That perfect person is out there, even sometimes coming in the disguise of an affair. It's wrong, you think, but also OK because they are "meant" for each other.

How many online dating sites out there claim to help you find your soul mate? And how many people have an unrealistic view of what they are looking for in a relationship? As a famous movie line once said, most people want to fall into someones arms and say "You complete me."  

The sad fact is no human being will ever make another whole, people will always disappoint and let us down. We are looking for our soul mate, but we won't find them on this earth. Our soul mate is Christ, that is who our heart desires and longs for.

Our mission and purpose on this planet is to find another person to love and care for, to raise saints and get each other to heaven. That is where our soul mate waits to fulfill our every hope and dream, to make us complete.  

Everything else is just gravy. Maybe this makes me too practical, or not romantic enough. Maybe you will question my love and devotion to the man I married. You shouldn't. Don't get me wrong, I love my husband to pieces and I would lay down my life for him and my precious children. But he isn't my soul mate.

He is the man I love and is an amazing husband and father, but he isn't perfect. And neither am I. We make each other's lives better, we support each other, we strive to be saints and to raise saints for heaven. But our love isn't perfect, it can't be, we are sinners. If either of us die, I hope we would both find love again, marry again. And God willing, we will all be reunited in heaven under the perfect love of our hearts desire.


No comments:

Post a Comment