Thursday, April 4, 2013

Weaning headache

This post is not to start mommy wars or to say breast feeding is right or wrong. This is just my story on trying to wean my almost 10 month old. James turns ten months on Monday, and I'm just done with breast feeding. Kudos to those who can make it to a year or even two. But that is not for me, I am done!

So now I have the hard task in front of me of how to wean without killing anyone (with the hormones and pain) or without getting an infection. We have enough breast milk in the deep freezer to last until James is two, thanks to my super boobs, but I cannot get them to stop producing milk.

In our breast is best society, has no one come up with a safe drug to dry up your supply? Ahhhh! All anyone can tell me is to take a decongestant and use cabbage leaves. Really?! Am I the only one in 2013 who believes that if technology can be advanced as it is, why can't someone make the weaning process less unimaginably painful?

I think we as women have enough to deal with in childbirth, and PMS, and cycles, why add painful weaning to the list?

Right now I'm only trying (and failing) to feed James 3 times a day. I just get too full and too emotional. It's like PMS on crack and I want to take people out.  I also want to stop paying for this pump and return it to the hospital where it belongs. But as I type this at 11pm I am pumping because the last time I fed James was 5pm and there is no way I'm going to make it til morning without exploding.

How did I wean with my first you ask? I had no choice and great pain medicine. I broke my ribs and foot when Miriam was 6 months old and we had to stop cold turkey. My ribs and foot hurt so bad I didn't care about my chest, and the pain medicine took the edge off.

So how in the world do women do this? My supply won't just stop, theoretically I could be producing milk for the next 15 or so years. And I was afraid I wouldn't be able to feed James because it took 9 days for my milk to come in. Yeah, I think God is giggling right now.

So these are my ramblings for tonight. If anyone has any advice to make this easier, I would love to hear it. Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment